Monday, April 2, 2012

'Rythyms of Africa' Winner! Winner!! Winner!!!


The 38th Annual North West Quilt show took place from the 29th to 30th of March and we had a big winner in the art quilt Category, my African inspired quilt 'Rythyms of Africa' picked up first place in the art Quilt category. This is the story of Rythyms of Africa.


Rythyms of Africa depicts the spirit of African dance, in most African villages to date, the sound and rythym of drums expresses the mood of the people, and resonates the heart beat of a community, such is the power of drumming and dancing, to touch the souls of those who hear its rythym.

As an artist far away from my native homeland, I have nostalgic feelings of Africa, simple things like tribal dance, festivals, and listening to the messages of the talking drums are things I long for every day, in order to connect with the good spirit of my heritage, I am inspired to dance.
I created 'Rythyms of Africa' to depict the happy spirit of dance.

Art work is raw edge machine appliqued and machine quilted, hand dyed fabrics for the background and a mixture of Kente Prints.
Dimensions ~ 43L 62.5W

Join me in celebrating 'Rythyms of Africa' and come back again to see more of my collection in the 38th Annual North West Quilters Guild show, it was just Eye Candy!
~~~~~~Wendy


Original Design - 2012
Copyright © 2010

2 comments: