Sunday, February 6, 2011

Beautiful Nonsense. Now featured on 'The Quilt Show' June 2014!


This is Beautiful Nonsense, an abstract quilt art which I created after watching so much of the horrific oil spill in the Gulf. I thought of using some of the pictures of the spill which I had saved in an abstract fiber art African inspired quilt. The oil spill at its height was one horrific event that impacted so much of our lives, heroic lives were taken, and our wild life, sea life, and ocean vegetation were greatly impacted.

I thought of the lives that were lost, and the grieving families, and how fragile life was. As I slept that night, I dreamed this piece an abstract work on this tragedy, and 'Beautiful Nonsense' was born!

I decided to change things a little by giving a background that looked more like relief features instead of the blue ocean color, keeping in mind that this quilt was African Inspired, I decided keep the background of this art work in black since black in Africa is symbolic of loss, sorrow and pain.
Our environment was heavily impacted by this unfortunate oil spill, but I decided to tap into that negative energy and turn it into a positive work of art.


Fabrics used were African print and black Swiss linen, and work is machine stitched, heavily trapunto'd, and machine quilted. Work is also hand painted and meticulously hand beaded.

No comments:

Post a Comment